Down at the very bottom of the social scale of AA society are the pariahs, the untouchables, and the outcasts, all known by one excoriating epithet-relatives. I am a relative. I know my place. I am not complaining. But I hope no one minds if I venture the plaintive confession that there are times, oh, many, many, times when I wish I had been an alcoholic. By that I mean that I wish I were an AA. The reason is that I consider the AA people the most charming in the world.
Such is my considered opinion. As a journalist it has been my fortune to meet many of the people who are considered charming. I number among my friends stars, and lesser lights of stage and cinema; writers are my daily diet. I know the ladies and gentleman of both political parties; I have been entertained in the White House. I have broken bread with kings and ministers and ambassadors and I say after that catalog, which could be extended, that I would prefer an evening with my AA friends to any person or group of persons I have indicated.
I ask myself why I consider so charming these alcoholic caterpillars who have found their butterfly wings in Alcoholics Anonymous. There are more reasons than one, but I can name a few.
They are imaginative, and that helps to make them alcoholics. Some of them drank to flog their ambition on to greater efforts. Others guzzled only to black out unendurable demons that rose in their imagination. But when they have found their restoration, their imagination is responsive to new incantations, and their talk abounds with color and light, and that makes them charming companions too.
Home
»
and the outcasts
»
Down at the very bottom of the social scale of AA society are the pariahs
»
the untouchables
» Down at the very bottom of the social scale of AA society are the pariahs, the untouchables, and the outcasts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Recent Posts
-
majority of Britain's 13-year-olds have drunk alcohol, marking a worrying "tipping point" for underage drinking, the home secr...
-
Then they outlined the spiritual answer and program of action which a hundred of them had followed successfully. Though I had been only a ...
-
Actually, the human lethal dose of caffeine is around 10 grams. But you would have to drink about 100 cups of coffee to even have a chance ...
-
People who don’t like “addicts” or their lifestyle will often point out that relapse (“falling off the wagon”, resumption of drug use after ...
-
Research on this topic is incomplete, and we know that stress can trigger relapse in a recovering person. It appears that stress can increa...
-
The Ninth Step Promises Copyright © Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc. The choice is ours... Do we want more of what brought us t...
-
campuses in South Carolina, California shed light on dangers of drinking Here's hoping college faculty in Kansas and across the nation t...
-
James Frey has received the ultimate penalty — expulsion from Oprah's Book Club. After being invited into the club — resulting in best-s...
-
Teenagers will be targeted through new and inventive school lessons in an attempt to curb underage drinking in Norwich.Alcohol awareness ses...
-
Every Saturday morning, Matt Hidy heads to Moeller High School, gathers a crew of 10 to 20 fellow students and carpools to Over-the-Rhine.Th...
Post a Comment